SMSO- August Pop Up! Concerts
Southwest Michigan Symphony Orchestra
Announces August 2022 Summer Pop Up Concerts
Saint Joseph, Michigan - Join us this summer as The Southwest Michigan Symphony Orchestra presents its free Pop Up! concert series around the community featuring members of the Symphony Orchestra and friends!
These concerts were started during the pandemic as a thank you to our community for its support of the SMSO. They are FREE to the public, however, if you are so moved, please consider making a tax-deductible contribution to help ensure the fiscal health of the SMSO. These concerts are supported, in part, by an award from the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs and the National Endowment for the Arts.
The SMSO hopes the community will enjoy these rousing orchestral offerings.
The following is the August schedule, with the artists and program, for the Pop Up! Concerts.
Join us Thursdays in August at 5:30 pm*
On the Green at the Krasl Art Center
707 Lake Bluff Blvd., St. Joseph
Bring a chair or blanket to sit on. Food trucks will be on site or you may bring
your own food & beverage, if desired.
August 4 – Richard Neckermann, trumpet, and Helen Lukan, piano. The program includes the following music selections:
- Hyfrydol Aspects by Terry Everson
- Sound of Silence by Paul Simon, arr. Disturbed
- Concerto in D by Bach
- Trumpeter’s Lullaby by Larry Anderson
- (Unknown Piece) - piano solo
August 11 – The Norwood Trio; “In the Garden” musical selections
Featuring Kassia Martin, flute, Sam Martin, clarinet, and Carol Ambrogio-Wood, soprano
- As it Fell Upon a Day by Aaron Copland (Norwood Trio)
- Zoe and Xena by Daniel Dorff (Kassia Martin, flute and Sam Martin, clarinet)
- Dandelion Days by Alan Ridout (Carol Ambrogio-Wood, soprano and Kassia Martin, flute)
- Danza de la Mariposa by Valeria Coleman (Kassia Martin, flute)
- Rhapsody by Wilson Osbourne (Sam Martin, clarinet)
- In the Garden by C. Austin Miles, arr. Kassia Martin (Norwood Trio)
August 18 – Brandon LePage, flute, and Rachel Miller, harp, will present a dance-themed program including Piazzola’s “History of the Tango.”
August 25 – A quintet of artists will perform.
Mark Portolese, Violin 1
Jessica Bennett, Violin 2
Sara Churchill, Viola
Brook Bennett, Cello
David Machavariani, Cello
The performance will include Franz Shubert Cello Quintet in C major D. 956.
*Note the time difference between the June and August programs.